PROMOTION SUCCESS FOR THE STEELETTOS
One particular Gerry Rafferty song might usefully be adopted as the theme tune for any aspirational sports team.
Because if you get it wrong it’s always a jolly good wheeze to get it right next time.
Northamptonshire’s women made the long trek up to Durham last September and endured one of their less successful days at the office – bundled out for a paltry 43 with only wides making it into double figures.
A year later, skipper Trish Hankins and her side were back in the north-east. And on this occasion there was plenty at stake.
To be precise, a place in Division Two of next season’s ECB County Championship.
So would history repeat itself at Green Lane as the Steelettos faced Durham in a winner-takes-all play-off contest? The answer, happily, was an emphatic no.
This time the hosts were put through the wringer, dismissed for just 90, and Northamptonshire knocked off the runs for a five-wicket win.
To that spot of sweet revenge add promotion in the Twenty20 competition (seven victories from eight starts) and you have a summer of conspicuous success for the County.
“Before the season started we did say let’s try and push to go up in both,” explains Hankins, who was turning out for Northamptonshire as a 14-year-old under Kerry York’s captaincy back in 2003.
“We trained really hard last winter and introduced some new stuff like a Strength and Conditioning coach (Liam Price) and also a sports psychologist for a couple of sessions.
“Lydia Greenway (the former England international) got involved too – so we really invested in our winter programme, and the improvement was there to see.
“With Division Three being put into regions this year we reckoned we could beat any of our opponents. But you have to make sure you turn up on the day and never be complacent.”
And they weren’t. Northamptonshire won three of their four pool matches – the other abandoned – to earn another crack at Durham, who had topped one of the other groups.
In any knockout situation it’s handy to land your punch first, and Farida Bibi duly obliged by bagging two wickets with successive balls in the first over…without a run on the board.
“Obviously they beat us quite convincingly last year, so it was payback time,” admits the captain.
“We really dominated from the start – and 0-2, well you couldn’t ask for anything better! From then on the girls really believed we could do it.”
Bibi, Hankins and young Bethan Solomon (a member of the Under-15s squad) shared seven of the wickets before Alicia Presland from Huntingdon all-but-settled the issue with a brisk 49 from 56 deliveries.
After watching a few overs of the Steelettos’ opening Championship fixture against Suffolk on a decidedly unspringlike May day at Finedon, it was clear they would outstrip many other teams in the fielding department.
Needless to say, that didn’t happen by accident.
“A couple of years ago we were a good side in the field, but then we perhaps didn’t work as hard on it.
“Now with the Strength and Conditioning coach getting our fitness up, fielding is probably the area that’s improved the most.
“And of course a good bit of fielding always lifts a team and makes everyone want to achieve that same standard.”
It’s probably fair to say that, not too long ago, the Northamptonshire women’s set-up didn’t have many points of contact with the rest of the game in the county.
It was a self-contained entity that largely did its own thing.
But in recent years a proper ‘pathway’ has been created, taking talented girls from age-group squads into the senior ranks.
And as a member of Northants Recreational Cricket’s development team, it’s both a passion and ‘the day job’ for Hankins.
“We started our Under-11s girls team a couple of years ago – and that’s strengthened the Under-13s, who made the national finals this season.
“Development hubs have also been launched around the area, meaning those girls who might not quite make the county squads still have something to aim for.
“And they’ve brought a few players to our notice who we might not have picked up on otherwise.
“So it’s a real pathway now – and hopefully what we’ve achieved in the seniors this season will make the younger girls want to become a part of it.”
The profile of the women’s game in this country has received a huge boost through England’s World Cup victory over India at Lord’s – an exciting tussle that reportedly attracted more Sunday afternoon TV viewers on Sky than the average Premier League footie fixture.
“It’s been massive,” says Trish. “We’ve run some women’s softball tournaments this year to offer a further option and the buzz has been terrific.
“People have seen how successful England are. The players are becoming role models now, and it’s just brilliant that cricket is being thought of as a game for women.”
Given that those behind winning sports teams are like painters on the Forth Bridge – their task never ends – it will surprise no-one to discover that plans for 2018 are already being laid.
And here it’s appropriate to recognise the major contribution of coach and manager Rob Mahony, a fine cricketer in his own right who (if memory serves) dismissed a certain Michael Atherton at the Cambridge Under-19s festival back in 1985 before stacking up the runs and wickets for Horton House and Kettering.
As for the captain – well, she admits a spot of R-and-R is high on the agenda at the tail-end of a summer that’s also seen her achieve promotion with Burton Latimer into the Women’s Midlands League Premier Division.
It will mean a few steady away trips next year to the likes of Loughborough, Lutterworth, Walmley and Clifton Village.
“I’m feeling really old! Farida (Bibi) is the only regular player in the county side older than me, and I must admit the body is feeling a bit tired.
“But it’s been a pretty good season all-round, really!”
Anyone feel like arguing with that? Not me.
Alex Wakely (25)
Graeme White (17)
Steven Crook (16)
Josh Cobb (13)
Ben Sanderson (12)
Richard Gleeson (12)
Richard Levi (10)
Rob Keogh (9)
Tom Sole (7)
Saif Zaib (7)
Rory Kleinveldt (7)
Max Holden (7)
Rob Newton (6)
David Murphy (6)
Adam Rossington (6)
Mohammad Azharullah (6)
Monty Panesar (4)
David Ripley (4)
Seekuge Prasanna (3)
Phil Rowe (3)
Chris Tombs (2)
Nathan Buck (2)
Gavin Warren (2)
Will Rogers (1)
Kevin Innes (1)
Mike Ferrandino (1)
County Council (1)
cllr Robin Brown (1)
Ray Payne (1)
NCCC holdings (1)
Chris Lorkin (1)
Second XI / Academy Physiotherapist (1)
Barry Goudriaan (1)
England Lions (1)
north v south (1)
David Sales (1)
Luke Procter (1)
- RUNS 4 FUNDS
- MONTY HELPS SECONDS TO NAIL-BITING WIN
- LEICESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- MONTY SEES HOW IT'S DONE AT SKY
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V KENT - DAY 4
- FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT'S FOR MAURICE KENT
- WAKELY'S WEEKLY
- STEELBACKS TRIUMPH IN 'BLAST' OPENER
- GLOUCS V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
- 2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 3
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 4
- SRI LANKAN SEEKKUGE PRASANNA SIGNS FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- MIND OVER MATTER | PREPARATIONS CONTINUE
- OXFORD MCCU | DAY 2
- TO TOSS, OR NOT TO TOSS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE VS SUSSEX | DAY 2
- NCCC & KENT SECOND XI VS WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XI
- OBITUARY | JOHN MINNEY 1939 - 2016
- EASYCOPIERS SPONSOR BEN DUCKETT
- NCCC SECOND XI VS LEICESTERSHIRE SECOND XI | DAY 3
- MIDSHIRES ELECTRICAL TO SPONSOR STEVEN CROOK
- ESSEX VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- "LET'S CALL IT A DRAW..."
- PRE-SEASON TOUR BEGINS
- NO CHANGE AT THE TOP
- NEW SHAPE FOR COUNTY GAME IN 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- NEW FACE AT THE ACADEMY
- STEELBACKS CAFE OPENING
- CRAZY HATS LADIES BACK IN ACTION
- ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN BARBADOS T20
- A RIGHT ROYAL TREAT
- HOSTS SEE OFF COUNTY IN ONE-DAYER
- BEN AND ADAM IN FORM - TWICE!
- TOM'S THE HEART AND SOLE IN BARBADOS
- SQUAD TO FACE MIDDLESEX
- A FAN'S EYE VIEW
- Welcome to SportsAid
- "THE ALL-ROUND DISPLAY WE WERE LOOKING FOR"
- A Record Breaking Battle
- It's All White on the Night!
- Sri Lanka call up for Prasanna
- A Tough Night with the Wet Worcestershire Rapids
- IT'S A RLC WASHOUT AT WANTAGE ROAD
- Greene King extends sponsorship deal with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- WHITE SECOND IN PCA MVP 50 OVERS PERFORMANCE TABLE
- Moin Ashraf joins us on a short term basis
- DEFEAT IS HARD LINES ON DUCKETT
- Swim for Fish Charity Swim
- Back to the top of the table.
- T20 BBQ vs Nottinghamshire on Friday, 8th July
- Credit to Crook
- 500th player to represent Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- SUSSEX V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- STEELBACKS WIN ON FAMILY DAY
- DUCKETT MOVES INTO PCA MVP RANKINGS TOP FIVE
- Fan Blog by Ian Harris
- STEELBACKS TAME THE BEARS AT EDGBASTON
- STEELBACKS SHARE THE POINTS AT CHESTERFIELD
- Richard Gleeson signs official contract
- Top of the Table and Ahead of the Game
- IT'S A WASHOUT AT CHESTERFIELD
- STEELBACKS TARGET QUARTER-FINALS AGAINST 'BOGEY' OPPONENTS
- Steelbacks fail to tame the Outlaws
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V WORCESTERSHIRE - DAY 3
- WAIT FOR T20 QUARTERS GOES ON AFTER DURHAM DEFEAT
- Shoosmiths supports NCCC with continued sponsorship
- Duckett - 163 reasons to be proud
- Quarter Finals booked
- THANK YOU
- DUCKETT RELISHES BEING A LION IN HIS OWN DEN
- NO SENTIMENT AS WILLEY STINGS STEELBACKS
- KEOGH THE KEY MAN IN CRUSHING RLC VICTORY
- BEN GOES BIG - AGAIN - FOR THE LIONS
- BEARS' OPENERS SINK COUNTY AT EDGBASTON
- WORCESTER WIN KEEPS STEELBACKS' RLC HOPES ALIVE
- COMPETITION HOTS UP FOR NORTH v SOUTH PLACES
- STEELBACKS CLINCH HOME T20 'QUARTER' DESPITE DEFEAT
- Northamptonshire hosting Beer Festival
- STEELBACKS CLOSE IN ON ANOTHER QUARTER-FINAL
- Graeme White signs a new contract
- North v South success for White and Duckett
- Duckett named in Specsavers One to Watch shortlist
- Networking Breakfast and Open Day, 12th September 9am
- GLAMORGAN V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- WAKELY: "WE'LL ALWAYS CARE ABOUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP"
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- JOSH COBB SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR CONTRACT
- STEELBACKS CROWNED THE 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS
- Notice to all Club Members
- Barrett gets his first ton for Northamptonshire
- WORCESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- catering vacancies available
- KEOGH AND WHITE HAVE GLAMORGAN IN A SPIN
- KEOGH IMPRESSES IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- COUNTY COMPLETE KENT VICTORY
- MEMBERS VOTE TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF NCCC
- ECB and First Class Counties agree next steps in developing fresh T20 competition
- "Kleinveldt is a Steelback, to the core" - David Ripley
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V GLOUCESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- DUCKETT GETS THE ENGLAND CALL UP
- GRAEME WHITE TOPS THE TABLE IN THE PCA MVP RANKINGS
- T20 CHAMPIONS DVD
- Ben Duckett shortlisted for NatWest PCA Awards
- BEN DUCKETT EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH NCCC
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SIGN PACE BOWLER NATHAN BUCK
- DUCKETT BECOMES FIRST EVER PLAYER TO WIN DOUBLE AT PCA AWARDS
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEELEY!
- David Murphy extends his contract with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- ROB NEWTON SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
- NCCC repay Northamptonshire County Council £1million
- Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
- THE CLUB ANNOUNCE ITS CHOSEN CHARITY FOR 2017
- NCCC welcomes new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Chris Lorkin
- NCCC recruit England Under 19s’ Captain and Middlesex opener, Max Holden
- Huntingdon Racecourse dates for NCCC Season Ticket Holders
- OBITUARY | MICK YORK
- Sri Lanka A claim first win in Lions ODI series
- 2016 FINANCIAL YEAR END STATEMENT
- Sri Lanka A took a 2-0 lead in the five-match one-day series against England Lions
- England Lions slipped to a third consecutive defeat in their one-day series against Sri Lanka A.
- White Roars for the England Lions
- TEAM NORTH SECURE FIRST VICTORY IN SERIES WARM UP MATCHES
- £13,000 RAISED FOR THE NIGEL WAGSTAFF CHARITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LOUGHBOROUGH UNIVERSITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V NOTTS
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V CARDIFF MCCU
- UPDATE | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE DAY 2
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day One
- KEOGH SHINES AT EDGBASTON
- ANOTHER DAY OF HANDY PRACTICE AT EDGBASTON
- CLUB CAPTAIN EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT
- DUCKETT NAMED AS ONE OF WISDEN'S FIVE CRICKETERS OF THE YEAR
- WAKELY TON ROUNDS OFF RUN-FEST
- Duckett named most promising young cricketer of the year for 2016
- DAY TWO | NCCC THRASH GLAMORGAN IN TWO DAYS
- 'HODGE' TO BE REMEMBERED WITH NEW AWARD
- COUNTY BEATEN IN TWO-DAY THRILLER AT NEW ROAD
- Warwickshire defeat the Steelbacks in Royal London Cup opener!
- COUNTY COME OFF SECOND-BEST AT DERBY DESPITE LEVI TON
- Steelbacks and Worcestershire play out a thrilling tie at Wantage Road
- Wakely guides Steelbacks to first One Day Cup win of the season
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SLIP TO DURHAM CUP DEFEAT
- STEELBACKS SUFFER HOME DEFEAT AT THE HANDS OF A STRONG YORKSHIRE SIDE
- COUNTY WASHED OUT AT GRACE ROAD
- DAY 3 REPORT | DURHAM VS NCCC
- Northants Shares Success Target threshold achieved for sale of shares
- NCCC SEAL DRAMATIC WIN AGAINST DURHAM AT CHESTER-LE-STREET
- RUNS4FUNDS | Celebrity Charity Cricket Fun Day Saturday, June 24th 2017 | Althorp House, Northampton
- BUCK CLIMBS PCA MVP RANKINGS
- NCCC has appointed Andrew Radd as its Honorary Archivist
- Rossington ruled out with finger fracture.
- REPORT | DAY 3 VS DERBYSHIRE
- WE ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE OUR NEW CATERING PARTNER
- Tabraiz Shamsi joins the Steelbacks for the NatWest T20 Blast
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC vs LEICESTERSHIRE
- ECB ANNOUNCES MEDIA RIGHTS DEALS FROM 2020 ONWARDS
- GLEESON MAKES HIS MARK IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- REPORT | DAY 4 VS KENT
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS FALCONS
- DUCKETT BOOSTS STEELBACKS TO DURHAM VICTORY
- MATCH ABANDONED! No play possible vs Yorkshire
- MATCH REPORT | STEELBACKS vs BEARS
- HOLDEN ON FIRE FOR THE ENGLAND U19s
- STEELBACKS EDGE HOME AT GRACE ROAD
- STEELBACKS BEATEN AT DAMP TRENT BRIDGE
- Rob Newton has signed a new two-year deal at NCCC
- STEELBACKS CRUISE TO VICTORY OVER THE RAPIDS
- Derbyshire and Northants frustrated by heavy rain
- Steelbacks Lose thriller at Wantage Road
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS LANCASHIRE LIGHTNING
- David Murphy to retire at the end of the season
- HOLDEN RETURNS TO NCCC FOR RED BALL CRICKET
- Kerrigan joins NCCC on one months loan
- STEELBACKS DEFEAT THE RAPIDS AT NEW ROAD
- 'KINGO' IS HONOURED WITH NEW AWARD
- NCCC to host first T20 Pro:Am
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS LEICESTERSHIRE FOXES
- Report | Yorkshire Vikings Vs Steelbacks
- White signs contract extension
- Report | Steelbacks Vs Durham Jets
- Academy and U17s Enjoying strong Success
- Under-17s reach ECB Championship Final for the first time in 20 years
- NCCC Academy u17 trio help Midlands secure Super 4 trophy
- Day 1 Report | Nottinghamshire vs NCCC
- Day 2 Report | Nottinghamshire vs NCCC
- Day 3 Report | Nottinghamshire vs NCCC
- DAY 4 REPORT - NOTTINGHAMSHIRE V NCCC
- Luke Procter joins Northamptonshire on loan
- Ben Sanderson signs three year contract
- PROMOTION SUCCESS FOR THE STEELETTOS
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC VS SUSSEX
- Local organisations come together to help open new creative studio for young mental health patients
- WHITE UNDERGOES SHOULDER SURGERY
- SYD STARKIE 1926-2017
- DUCKETT SUFFERS FRACTURED FINGER
- Day 4 Report | Nottinghamshire Vs NCCC
- KLEINVELDT CLIMBS PCA MVP RANKINGS AFTER CAREER BESTS
- SEAM BOWLER MUHAMMAD AZHARULLAH WILL LEAVE NORTHAMPTONSHIRE AT THE END OF THE 2017 SEASON
- Day 3 Report | Leicestershire vs Northamptonshire
- Northamptonshire sign seam bowling all-rounder Brett Hutton
- LEVI BAGS FOUR ON NCCC AWARDS NIGHT
- DUCKETT HEADED FOR AUSTRALIA WITH THE ENGLAND LIONS
- A note from Azhar