Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
It was announced back in September that the English first-class counties had voted by a sizeable majority to give ECB the go-ahead to explore further a proposal for a new eight-team T20 competition.
This followed discussions involving the 18 counties, plus the Professional Cricketers’ Association (PCA) and MCC.
Northamptonshire was one of the counties to vote in favour of the proposal to take the matter forward.
The plans have prompted a robust debate among cricket followers, with strong views expressed for and against.
To allow Steelbacks’ fans to have the best and latest available information, we sat down with Northamptonshire CCC’s chairman Gavin Warren to ask him a series of questions.
HOW FAR ADVANCED ARE THE PLANS FOR A NEW COMPETITION?
ECB is working through various work streams for the development of a new T20 competition, covering all aspects from governance and finance, cricket, commercial, participation and operations. Some initial recommendations and principles have been shared with the first class counties and more details will be shared in the new year.
WHY DO WE NEED A NEW ENGLISH T20 TOURNAMENT WHEN THE EXISTING NATWEST T20 BLAST IS BRINGING IN THE CROWDS?
The existing NatWest T20 Blast has done exactly what it set out to do and has succeeded in creating year on year increases in crowds for county cricket. However we believe that a new, fresh completion, to run in addition to a county T20 competition, can tap into new fan bases and broaden the consumption of cricket – particularly among a more diverse family audience. We also believe that a new T20 competition can generate significant new revenue to grow the game, improve participation and de-risk English cricket’s current financial reliance on international cricket.
WHY TRY AND COPY THE IPL AND THE ‘BIG BASH’ WHEN THE DEMOGRAPHIC IS SO DIFFERENT IN ENGLAND?
The intention is certainly not to copy the IPL or the Big Bash. ECB will look to create a new tournament bespoke to this country, whilst maintaining a flourishing County T20 competition. We would certainly not want to restrict T20 cricket to the bigger grounds and bigger cities. There are certainly learnings that ca be taken from both IPL and Big Bash – in particular how they have tapped into broader audiences – but any new competition will of course look to reflect the demographics of England and Wales.
WHY DID YOU SUPPORT THE IDEA OF A COMPETITION IN WHICH NORTHAMPTONSHIRE – THE REIGNING T20 BLAST CHAMPIONS – WOULDN’T BE PARTICIPATING?
Northamptonshire, like all counties, has to look at the big picture for cricket within England and Wales. What was important to the club was that a T20 competition remained in the annual cricketing calendar as the club recognises its popularity across the county and beyond, as well as having a proud record in that competition. The new competition will give Northamptonshire players the opportunity to compete with the very best in T20 on a regional basis, which ultimately could lead to more England selection for our players. Similar to the North V South series which is taking place in Dubai in March, where we are the most well represented club in the North Squad of the competition.
IF THERE ARE GOING TO BE TWO SEPARATE COMPETITIONS – WON’T THE ONE INVOLVING ALL 18 COUNTIES BE REGARDED AS A ‘SECOND-CLASS’ EVENT?
No – the two competitions will have very different roles and audiences. The County T20 competition will continue to be marketed to existing cricket fans and the new competition will be marketed to a broader family audience. The two competitions will be highly differentiated at every level – scheduling, team brands, playing squads, marketing, media distribution and operationally.
WILL THEY RUN AT THE SAME TIME – AND IF SO, WON’T THAT MEAN SOME OF OUR BETTER PLAYERS APPEARING FOR A DIFFERENT TEAM?
No the competitions will not run at the same time. The current recommendation is that the county competition runs from late May to mid-July and the new competition will take place primarily in August
IS THIS JUST ABOUT MONEY?
No. Whilst the ECB is confident that the new competition will bring in new revenues to the game, the primary objective is to broaden the consumption of cricket, and bring in the next generation of fans. This can be done by a different media distribution than we have for current cricket competitions and a more direct link to participation.
WILL THE NEW COMPETITION BE SHOWN ON TERRESTRIAL TV OR WILL IT ONLY BE AVAILABLE FOR SATELLITE SUBSCRIBERS?
The broadcast rights for the new competition have not been sold yet, but ECB believes that the new competition can potentially achieve a mix of free to air and pay TV broadcast, with additional digital coverage targeting the younger generation of fans.
IF, AS LOOKS LIKELY, THE NEAREST GROUND STAGING MATCHES IN THE NEW COMPETITION IS SOME DISTANCE FROM NORTHAMPTON – WHAT ABOUT OUR SUPPORTERS?
Venues for the new competition have not been decided yet.
MIGHT THIS NOT BE “THE THIN END OF THE WEDGE” – IF WE HAVE ONE COMPETITION THAT DOESN’T INVOLVE ALL THE 18 COUNTIES, WHAT’S TO STOP THE ECB LEAVING US OUT OF OTHERS?
It remains the ECB’s intention to have all 18 counties playing all formats of the game in the future.
WHEN WILL WE KNOW MORE ABOUT THE DETAIL?
ECB executives are currently working through further details with representatives from the first class counties and more details will be shared once recommendations have been agreed with the ECB board and other stakeholders.
Alex Wakely (23)
Steven Crook (17)
Graeme White (17)
Josh Cobb (12)
Ben Sanderson (12)
Richard Gleeson (10)
Richard Levi (9)
Rob Keogh (9)
Max Holden (8)
Saif Zaib (7)
David Murphy (6)
Tom Sole (6)
Adam Rossington (6)
Rob Newton (5)
Rory Kleinveldt (5)
Monty Panesar (4)
Seekuge Prasanna (4)
David Ripley (4)
Mohammad Azharullah (4)
Phil Rowe (3)
north v south (3)
Chris Tombs (2)
Nathan Buck (2)
Gavin Warren (2)
England Lions (2)
Will Rogers (1)
Kevin Innes (1)
Mike Ferrandino (1)
County Council (1)
cllr Robin Brown (1)
Ray Payne (1)
NCCC holdings (1)
Chris Lorkin (1)
England U19 (1)
Second XI / Academy Physiotherapist (1)
Barry Goudriaan (1)
David Sales (1)
- RUNS 4 FUNDS
- MONTY HELPS SECONDS TO NAIL-BITING WIN
- LEICESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- MONTY SEES HOW IT'S DONE AT SKY
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V KENT - DAY 4
- FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT'S FOR MAURICE KENT
- WAKELY'S WEEKLY
- STEELBACKS TRIUMPH IN 'BLAST' OPENER
- GLOUCS V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
- 2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 3
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 4
- SRI LANKAN SEEKKUGE PRASANNA SIGNS FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- MIND OVER MATTER | PREPARATIONS CONTINUE
- OXFORD MCCU | DAY 2
- TO TOSS, OR NOT TO TOSS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE VS SUSSEX | DAY 2
- NCCC & KENT SECOND XI VS WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XI
- OBITUARY | JOHN MINNEY 1939 - 2016
- EASYCOPIERS SPONSOR BEN DUCKETT
- NCCC SECOND XI VS LEICESTERSHIRE SECOND XI | DAY 3
- MIDSHIRES ELECTRICAL TO SPONSOR STEVEN CROOK
- ESSEX VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- "LET'S CALL IT A DRAW..."
- PRE-SEASON TOUR BEGINS
- NO CHANGE AT THE TOP
- NEW SHAPE FOR COUNTY GAME IN 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- NEW FACE AT THE ACADEMY
- STEELBACKS CAFE OPENING
- CRAZY HATS LADIES BACK IN ACTION
- ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN BARBADOS T20
- A RIGHT ROYAL TREAT
- HOSTS SEE OFF COUNTY IN ONE-DAYER
- BEN AND ADAM IN FORM - TWICE!
- TOM'S THE HEART AND SOLE IN BARBADOS
- SQUAD TO FACE MIDDLESEX
- A FAN'S EYE VIEW
- Welcome to SportsAid
- "THE ALL-ROUND DISPLAY WE WERE LOOKING FOR"
- A Record Breaking Battle
- It's All White on the Night!
- Sri Lanka call up for Prasanna
- A Tough Night with the Wet Worcestershire Rapids
- IT'S A RLC WASHOUT AT WANTAGE ROAD
- Greene King extends sponsorship deal with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- WHITE SECOND IN PCA MVP 50 OVERS PERFORMANCE TABLE
- Moin Ashraf joins us on a short term basis
- DEFEAT IS HARD LINES ON DUCKETT
- Swim for Fish Charity Swim
- Back to the top of the table.
- T20 BBQ vs Nottinghamshire on Friday, 8th July
- Credit to Crook
- 500th player to represent Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- SUSSEX V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- STEELBACKS WIN ON FAMILY DAY
- DUCKETT MOVES INTO PCA MVP RANKINGS TOP FIVE
- Fan Blog by Ian Harris
- STEELBACKS TAME THE BEARS AT EDGBASTON
- STEELBACKS SHARE THE POINTS AT CHESTERFIELD
- Richard Gleeson signs official contract
- Top of the Table and Ahead of the Game
- IT'S A WASHOUT AT CHESTERFIELD
- STEELBACKS TARGET QUARTER-FINALS AGAINST 'BOGEY' OPPONENTS
- Steelbacks fail to tame the Outlaws
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V WORCESTERSHIRE - DAY 3
- WAIT FOR T20 QUARTERS GOES ON AFTER DURHAM DEFEAT
- Shoosmiths supports NCCC with continued sponsorship
- Duckett - 163 reasons to be proud
- Quarter Finals booked
- THANK YOU
- DUCKETT RELISHES BEING A LION IN HIS OWN DEN
- NO SENTIMENT AS WILLEY STINGS STEELBACKS
- KEOGH THE KEY MAN IN CRUSHING RLC VICTORY
- BEN GOES BIG - AGAIN - FOR THE LIONS
- BEARS' OPENERS SINK COUNTY AT EDGBASTON
- WORCESTER WIN KEEPS STEELBACKS' RLC HOPES ALIVE
- COMPETITION HOTS UP FOR NORTH v SOUTH PLACES
- STEELBACKS CLINCH HOME T20 'QUARTER' DESPITE DEFEAT
- Northamptonshire hosting Beer Festival
- STEELBACKS CLOSE IN ON ANOTHER QUARTER-FINAL
- Graeme White signs a new contract
- North v South success for White and Duckett
- Duckett named in Specsavers One to Watch shortlist
- Networking Breakfast and Open Day, 12th September 9am
- GLAMORGAN V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- WAKELY: "WE'LL ALWAYS CARE ABOUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP"
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- JOSH COBB SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR CONTRACT
- STEELBACKS CROWNED THE 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS
- Notice to all Club Members
- Barrett gets his first ton for Northamptonshire
- WORCESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- catering vacancies available
- KEOGH AND WHITE HAVE GLAMORGAN IN A SPIN
- KEOGH IMPRESSES IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- BEN SANDERSON SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR DEAL
- COUNTY COMPLETE KENT VICTORY
- MEMBERS VOTE TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF NCCC
- ECB and First Class Counties agree next steps in developing fresh T20 competition
- "Kleinveldt is a Steelback, to the core" - David Ripley
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V GLOUCESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- DUCKETT GETS THE ENGLAND CALL UP
- GRAEME WHITE TOPS THE TABLE IN THE PCA MVP RANKINGS
- T20 CHAMPIONS DVD
- Ben Duckett shortlisted for NatWest PCA Awards
- BEN DUCKETT EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH NCCC
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SIGN PACE BOWLER NATHAN BUCK
- DUCKETT BECOMES FIRST EVER PLAYER TO WIN DOUBLE AT PCA AWARDS
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEELEY!
- David Murphy extends his contract with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- ROB NEWTON SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
- NCCC repay Northamptonshire County Council £1million
- Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
- THE CLUB ANNOUNCE ITS CHOSEN CHARITY FOR 2017
- NCCC welcomes new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Chris Lorkin
- NCCC recruit England Under 19s’ Captain and Middlesex opener, Max Holden
- Huntingdon Racecourse dates for NCCC Season Ticket Holders
- OBITUARY | MICK YORK
- DUCKETT TO FEATURE FOR MCC
- Graeme White called up to England Lions one-day squad
- Sri Lanka A claim first win in Lions ODI series
- 2016 FINANCIAL YEAR END STATEMENT
- Sri Lanka A took a 2-0 lead in the five-match one-day series against England Lions
- England Lions slipped to a third consecutive defeat in their one-day series against Sri Lanka A.
- Welcome Back Seekkuge Prasanna!
- PlayerLayer Announces Kit Partnership with Northamptonshire CCC
- White Roars for the England Lions
- TEAM NORTH SECURE FIRST VICTORY IN SERIES WARM UP MATCHES
- £13,000 RAISED FOR THE NIGEL WAGSTAFF CHARITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LOUGHBOROUGH UNIVERSITY
- Strauss raises stakes for North-South Series
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V NOTTS
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V CARDIFF MCCU
- UPDATE | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE DAY 2
- CROOK ALL SET FOR SEASON KICK OFF
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day One
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day Two
- KEOGH SHINES AT EDGBASTON
- ANOTHER DAY OF HANDY PRACTICE AT EDGBASTON
- TAYLOR AND SALES JOIN THE COACHING LINE UP
- TWO MORE TONS AS LOUGHBOROUGH MAKE HAY
- CLUB CAPTAIN EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT
- DUCKETT NAMED AS ONE OF WISDEN'S FIVE CRICKETERS OF THE YEAR
- WAKELY TON ROUNDS OFF RUN-FEST
- Duckett named most promising young cricketer of the year for 2016
- DAY TWO | NCCC THRASH GLAMORGAN IN TWO DAYS
- 'HODGE' TO BE REMEMBERED WITH NEW AWARD
- COUNTY BEATEN IN TWO-DAY THRILLER AT NEW ROAD
- Warwickshire defeat the Steelbacks in Royal London Cup opener!
- COUNTY COME OFF SECOND-BEST AT DERBY DESPITE LEVI TON
- Steelbacks and Worcestershire play out a thrilling tie at Wantage Road
- Wakely guides Steelbacks to first One Day Cup win of the season
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SLIP TO DURHAM CUP DEFEAT
- STEELBACKS SUFFER HOME DEFEAT AT THE HANDS OF A STRONG YORKSHIRE SIDE
- COUNTY WASHED OUT AT GRACE ROAD
- MURPHY OUT WITH BACK INJURY
- GAME AGAINST NOTTS WASHED OUT
- ZAIB SIGNS FIRST PROFESSIONAL CONTRACT
- LUBAS SPORTS TRAUMA MANAGEMENT COURSE
- Workbridge and NCCC work together on bumper flower displays
- STEELBACKS NARROWLY MISS OUT AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA
- RICHARD LEVI INJURY UPDATE
- KEOGH DEFIANCE NOT ENOUGH FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- PREVIEW: DURHAM VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- Duckett is back in Northampton with the Lions for the second time in 11 months
- SPOIL DAD THIS FATHER'S DAY
- DAY 3 REPORT | DURHAM VS NCCC
- Northants Shares Success Target threshold achieved for sale of shares
- NCCC SEAL DRAMATIC WIN AGAINST DURHAM AT CHESTER-LE-STREET
- RUNS4FUNDS | Celebrity Charity Cricket Fun Day Saturday, June 24th 2017 | Althorp House, Northampton
- BUCK CLIMBS PCA MVP RANKINGS
- NCCC has appointed Andrew Radd as its Honorary Archivist
- Rossington ruled out with finger fracture.
- REPORT | DAY 3 VS DERBYSHIRE
- WE ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE OUR NEW CATERING PARTNER
- Tabraiz Shamsi joins the Steelbacks for the NatWest T20 Blast
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC vs LEICESTERSHIRE
- ECB ANNOUNCES MEDIA RIGHTS DEALS FROM 2020 ONWARDS
- GLEESON MAKES HIS MARK IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- Holden and Brook to lead England Under-19s against India
- REPORT | DAY 4 VS KENT
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS FALCONS
- DUCKETT BOOSTS STEELBACKS TO DURHAM VICTORY
- Azharullah ruled out of the Steelbacks T20 campaign with a shoulder injury.
- MATCH ABANDONED! No play possible vs Yorkshire
- Emergency services join the Steelbacks for their annual Golf Day
- MATCH REPORT | STEELBACKS vs BEARS
- N-TRANCE join Boombastic 90’s in Northampton for another huge NYE Party!
- Prasanna ruled out of the NatWest T20 Blast competition
- HOLDEN ON FIRE FOR THE ENGLAND U19s
- STEELBACKS EDGE HOME AT GRACE ROAD
- STEELBACKS BEATEN AT DAMP TRENT BRIDGE