COUNTY BEATEN IN TWO-DAY THRILLER AT NEW ROAD
Worcestershire made it two wins in a row in the Specsavers County Championship and ended Northamptonshire’s 100% start to the season with a victory in two days in a tense, low-scoring contest at New Road.
After bowling out the home side for 153 in their second innings, Northants were dismissed for 164 and went down by 20 runs after being hi-jacked late in the day by Joe Leach and Josh Tongue.
Having survived a tricky start at 45 for three, the visitors seemed to be inching towards a third consecutive victory when Adam Rossington and Max Holden played responsibly in a stand of 40.
But the game tilted back towards Worcestershire with two wickets in 13 balls for Joe Leach. The newly-appointed captain had Rossington caught at cover for 22 and then bowled on-loan Middlesex left hander Holden for 37.
Worse followed for Northants when Josh Tongue picked up two in four balls. Richard Levi was lbw for 22, playing back to the 19-year-old paceman, who followed that by yorking Steven Crook.
The two seamers chipped out two more wickets but Mohammad Azharullah kept up the fight with an unbeaten 17 until the result was settled at 7.20pm when Andy Carter was lbw for 8, giving Leach match figures of 10 for 122.
After 16 wickets had crashed under heavy cloud cover on the first day, it was tempting to assume that batting would become easier in bright sunshine, but it proved to be just as difficult to put partnerships together.
In all, 24 fell on a protracted second day.
A grassy pitch, probably typical of early season with its seam movement, was a factor which became critical when coupled with a number of rash shots. Patience was not the name of the game.
The first job of the day was to deal with Northamptonshire’s last four wickets and they were duly swept aside in under an hour, although they would have been reasonably happy with the 55 runs added.
Nathan Buck’s unbeaten 24 included a pick-up for six off Leach and Crook (16) gave John Hastings the first success in the Australian’s spell of three for 27.
With Worcestershire holding a lead of 31, their marginal advantage was quickly diluted with the scoreboard showing three for three after four overs from Buck and Azharullah.
Daryl Mitchell nicked Buck’s third delivery behind the wicket, Moeen Ali scythed a catch to Ben Duckett in the slips and Brett D’Oliviera was given out lbw for a second wicket for Azharullah.
Worcestershire came up with an innovative response by sending in Hastings and Leach in a fourth-wicket partnership after batting at Nos 9 and 10 in the first innings.
The move worked to the extent of 22 for Hastings and 16 for Leach, but half the side went for 56 before regular middle-order batsmen were together at the crease.
Joe Clarke did not last long before edging Buck for another slip catch by Duckett, but hopes were raised by Tom Fell (23) and Tom Kohler-Cadmore (22).
Again, however, it was not as substantial as they would have wanted. Fell was bowled by Buck and Kohler-Cadmore sliced to gully in a short spell by Crook.
Carter, having come out of retirement to sign for injury-hit Northants, took his fifth wicket of the match when Ben Cox was caught behind but the last pair put together the biggest stand of 45 until Tongue (15) was bowled by Buck (four for 42). Ed Barnard was left unbeaten with top score of 26.
Alex Wakely (23)
Steven Crook (17)
Graeme White (17)
Josh Cobb (12)
Ben Sanderson (12)
Richard Gleeson (10)
Richard Levi (9)
Rob Keogh (9)
Max Holden (8)
Saif Zaib (7)
David Murphy (6)
Tom Sole (6)
Adam Rossington (6)
Rob Newton (5)
Rory Kleinveldt (5)
Monty Panesar (4)
Seekuge Prasanna (4)
David Ripley (4)
Mohammad Azharullah (4)
Phil Rowe (3)
north v south (3)
Chris Tombs (2)
Nathan Buck (2)
Gavin Warren (2)
England Lions (2)
Will Rogers (1)
Kevin Innes (1)
Mike Ferrandino (1)
County Council (1)
cllr Robin Brown (1)
Ray Payne (1)
NCCC holdings (1)
Chris Lorkin (1)
England U19 (1)
Second XI / Academy Physiotherapist (1)
Barry Goudriaan (1)
David Sales (1)
- RUNS 4 FUNDS
- MONTY HELPS SECONDS TO NAIL-BITING WIN
- LEICESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- MONTY SEES HOW IT'S DONE AT SKY
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V KENT - DAY 4
- FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT'S FOR MAURICE KENT
- WAKELY'S WEEKLY
- STEELBACKS TRIUMPH IN 'BLAST' OPENER
- GLOUCS V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
- 2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 3
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 4
- SRI LANKAN SEEKKUGE PRASANNA SIGNS FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- MIND OVER MATTER | PREPARATIONS CONTINUE
- OXFORD MCCU | DAY 2
- TO TOSS, OR NOT TO TOSS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE VS SUSSEX | DAY 2
- NCCC & KENT SECOND XI VS WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XI
- OBITUARY | JOHN MINNEY 1939 - 2016
- EASYCOPIERS SPONSOR BEN DUCKETT
- NCCC SECOND XI VS LEICESTERSHIRE SECOND XI | DAY 3
- MIDSHIRES ELECTRICAL TO SPONSOR STEVEN CROOK
- ESSEX VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- "LET'S CALL IT A DRAW..."
- PRE-SEASON TOUR BEGINS
- NO CHANGE AT THE TOP
- NEW SHAPE FOR COUNTY GAME IN 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- NEW FACE AT THE ACADEMY
- STEELBACKS CAFE OPENING
- CRAZY HATS LADIES BACK IN ACTION
- ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN BARBADOS T20
- A RIGHT ROYAL TREAT
- HOSTS SEE OFF COUNTY IN ONE-DAYER
- BEN AND ADAM IN FORM - TWICE!
- TOM'S THE HEART AND SOLE IN BARBADOS
- SQUAD TO FACE MIDDLESEX
- A FAN'S EYE VIEW
- Welcome to SportsAid
- "THE ALL-ROUND DISPLAY WE WERE LOOKING FOR"
- A Record Breaking Battle
- It's All White on the Night!
- Sri Lanka call up for Prasanna
- A Tough Night with the Wet Worcestershire Rapids
- IT'S A RLC WASHOUT AT WANTAGE ROAD
- Greene King extends sponsorship deal with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- WHITE SECOND IN PCA MVP 50 OVERS PERFORMANCE TABLE
- Moin Ashraf joins us on a short term basis
- DEFEAT IS HARD LINES ON DUCKETT
- Swim for Fish Charity Swim
- Back to the top of the table.
- T20 BBQ vs Nottinghamshire on Friday, 8th July
- Credit to Crook
- 500th player to represent Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- SUSSEX V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- STEELBACKS WIN ON FAMILY DAY
- DUCKETT MOVES INTO PCA MVP RANKINGS TOP FIVE
- Fan Blog by Ian Harris
- STEELBACKS TAME THE BEARS AT EDGBASTON
- STEELBACKS SHARE THE POINTS AT CHESTERFIELD
- Richard Gleeson signs official contract
- Top of the Table and Ahead of the Game
- IT'S A WASHOUT AT CHESTERFIELD
- STEELBACKS TARGET QUARTER-FINALS AGAINST 'BOGEY' OPPONENTS
- Steelbacks fail to tame the Outlaws
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V WORCESTERSHIRE - DAY 3
- WAIT FOR T20 QUARTERS GOES ON AFTER DURHAM DEFEAT
- Shoosmiths supports NCCC with continued sponsorship
- Duckett - 163 reasons to be proud
- Quarter Finals booked
- THANK YOU
- DUCKETT RELISHES BEING A LION IN HIS OWN DEN
- NO SENTIMENT AS WILLEY STINGS STEELBACKS
- KEOGH THE KEY MAN IN CRUSHING RLC VICTORY
- BEN GOES BIG - AGAIN - FOR THE LIONS
- BEARS' OPENERS SINK COUNTY AT EDGBASTON
- WORCESTER WIN KEEPS STEELBACKS' RLC HOPES ALIVE
- COMPETITION HOTS UP FOR NORTH v SOUTH PLACES
- STEELBACKS CLINCH HOME T20 'QUARTER' DESPITE DEFEAT
- Northamptonshire hosting Beer Festival
- STEELBACKS CLOSE IN ON ANOTHER QUARTER-FINAL
- Graeme White signs a new contract
- North v South success for White and Duckett
- Duckett named in Specsavers One to Watch shortlist
- Networking Breakfast and Open Day, 12th September 9am
- GLAMORGAN V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- WAKELY: "WE'LL ALWAYS CARE ABOUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP"
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- JOSH COBB SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR CONTRACT
- STEELBACKS CROWNED THE 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS
- Notice to all Club Members
- Barrett gets his first ton for Northamptonshire
- WORCESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- catering vacancies available
- KEOGH AND WHITE HAVE GLAMORGAN IN A SPIN
- KEOGH IMPRESSES IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- BEN SANDERSON SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR DEAL
- COUNTY COMPLETE KENT VICTORY
- MEMBERS VOTE TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF NCCC
- ECB and First Class Counties agree next steps in developing fresh T20 competition
- "Kleinveldt is a Steelback, to the core" - David Ripley
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V GLOUCESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- DUCKETT GETS THE ENGLAND CALL UP
- GRAEME WHITE TOPS THE TABLE IN THE PCA MVP RANKINGS
- T20 CHAMPIONS DVD
- Ben Duckett shortlisted for NatWest PCA Awards
- BEN DUCKETT EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH NCCC
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SIGN PACE BOWLER NATHAN BUCK
- DUCKETT BECOMES FIRST EVER PLAYER TO WIN DOUBLE AT PCA AWARDS
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEELEY!
- David Murphy extends his contract with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- ROB NEWTON SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
- NCCC repay Northamptonshire County Council £1million
- Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
- THE CLUB ANNOUNCE ITS CHOSEN CHARITY FOR 2017
- NCCC welcomes new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Chris Lorkin
- NCCC recruit England Under 19s’ Captain and Middlesex opener, Max Holden
- Huntingdon Racecourse dates for NCCC Season Ticket Holders
- OBITUARY | MICK YORK
- DUCKETT TO FEATURE FOR MCC
- Graeme White called up to England Lions one-day squad
- Sri Lanka A claim first win in Lions ODI series
- 2016 FINANCIAL YEAR END STATEMENT
- Sri Lanka A took a 2-0 lead in the five-match one-day series against England Lions
- England Lions slipped to a third consecutive defeat in their one-day series against Sri Lanka A.
- Welcome Back Seekkuge Prasanna!
- PlayerLayer Announces Kit Partnership with Northamptonshire CCC
- White Roars for the England Lions
- TEAM NORTH SECURE FIRST VICTORY IN SERIES WARM UP MATCHES
- £13,000 RAISED FOR THE NIGEL WAGSTAFF CHARITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LOUGHBOROUGH UNIVERSITY
- Strauss raises stakes for North-South Series
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V NOTTS
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V CARDIFF MCCU
- UPDATE | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE DAY 2
- CROOK ALL SET FOR SEASON KICK OFF
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day One
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day Two
- KEOGH SHINES AT EDGBASTON
- ANOTHER DAY OF HANDY PRACTICE AT EDGBASTON
- TAYLOR AND SALES JOIN THE COACHING LINE UP
- TWO MORE TONS AS LOUGHBOROUGH MAKE HAY
- CLUB CAPTAIN EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT
- DUCKETT NAMED AS ONE OF WISDEN'S FIVE CRICKETERS OF THE YEAR
- WAKELY TON ROUNDS OFF RUN-FEST
- Duckett named most promising young cricketer of the year for 2016
- DAY TWO | NCCC THRASH GLAMORGAN IN TWO DAYS
- 'HODGE' TO BE REMEMBERED WITH NEW AWARD
- COUNTY BEATEN IN TWO-DAY THRILLER AT NEW ROAD
- Warwickshire defeat the Steelbacks in Royal London Cup opener!
- COUNTY COME OFF SECOND-BEST AT DERBY DESPITE LEVI TON
- Steelbacks and Worcestershire play out a thrilling tie at Wantage Road
- Wakely guides Steelbacks to first One Day Cup win of the season
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SLIP TO DURHAM CUP DEFEAT
- STEELBACKS SUFFER HOME DEFEAT AT THE HANDS OF A STRONG YORKSHIRE SIDE
- COUNTY WASHED OUT AT GRACE ROAD
- MURPHY OUT WITH BACK INJURY
- GAME AGAINST NOTTS WASHED OUT
- ZAIB SIGNS FIRST PROFESSIONAL CONTRACT
- LUBAS SPORTS TRAUMA MANAGEMENT COURSE
- Workbridge and NCCC work together on bumper flower displays
- STEELBACKS NARROWLY MISS OUT AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA
- RICHARD LEVI INJURY UPDATE
- KEOGH DEFIANCE NOT ENOUGH FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- PREVIEW: DURHAM VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- Duckett is back in Northampton with the Lions for the second time in 11 months
- SPOIL DAD THIS FATHER'S DAY
- DAY 3 REPORT | DURHAM VS NCCC
- Northants Shares Success Target threshold achieved for sale of shares
- NCCC SEAL DRAMATIC WIN AGAINST DURHAM AT CHESTER-LE-STREET
- RUNS4FUNDS | Celebrity Charity Cricket Fun Day Saturday, June 24th 2017 | Althorp House, Northampton
- BUCK CLIMBS PCA MVP RANKINGS
- NCCC has appointed Andrew Radd as its Honorary Archivist
- Rossington ruled out with finger fracture.
- REPORT | DAY 3 VS DERBYSHIRE
- WE ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE OUR NEW CATERING PARTNER
- Tabraiz Shamsi joins the Steelbacks for the NatWest T20 Blast
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC vs LEICESTERSHIRE
- ECB ANNOUNCES MEDIA RIGHTS DEALS FROM 2020 ONWARDS
- GLEESON MAKES HIS MARK IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- Holden and Brook to lead England Under-19s against India
- REPORT | DAY 4 VS KENT
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS FALCONS
- DUCKETT BOOSTS STEELBACKS TO DURHAM VICTORY
- Azharullah ruled out of the Steelbacks T20 campaign with a shoulder injury.
- MATCH ABANDONED! No play possible vs Yorkshire
- Emergency services join the Steelbacks for their annual Golf Day
- MATCH REPORT | STEELBACKS vs BEARS
- N-TRANCE join Boombastic 90’s in Northampton for another huge NYE Party!
- Prasanna ruled out of the NatWest T20 Blast competition
- HOLDEN ON FIRE FOR THE ENGLAND U19s
- STEELBACKS EDGE HOME AT GRACE ROAD
- STEELBACKS BEATEN AT DAMP TRENT BRIDGE