Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
Monty Panesar, the Northamptonshire and former England slow left-armer, has been appointed a Professional Cricketers’ Association Mental Health Ambassador.
Panesar follows Andrew Flintoff, the former England all-rounder who was recently elected as PCA President, as a Mental Health Ambassador and has talked frankly about his own experiences of anxiety and paranoia in a video that will be used in the PCA’s Mind Matters mental wellbeing series to help other players.
“To be a PCA Mental Health Ambassador is really important to me because I feel that I want to help other cricketers who in the future may feel depressed, have anxiety issues or mental health issues so that they are able to come forward,” Panesar said.
“The PCA provide a really good service, they are very supportive in helping you get through your difficult times. Please use the PCA because they are there to help you.”
Panesar has returned to first-class cricket with Northamptonshire, the county where he began his career, this season after he was released by Essex last September.
“Over the last few years I have had some difficult periods in my cricketing life. When my confidence goes quite low I feel that the world is against me, team mates are not with me and that has come through years of being under pressure performing.
“I felt I had low self-esteem and, especially when my confidence went low, I would get into a place of paranoia. Instead of being quiet about it I would get quite aggressive towards umpires and opposition towards my own team- mates.
“People didn’t see me as that when I first started playing my cricket. They saw my enthusiasm for the game and my love for cricket and that’s what I think people wanted to see.
“I got quite paranoid about things. There was nothing there but I felt there was something there. Suddenly you over-think and over-analyse things. I felt I got into a place where I had anxiety and depression issues.
“The way it made me feel was quite low in myself. I was quite angry with other members around me and I can see how people then got quite frustrated with that. It was very difficult for family and friends because they don’t know what is really going on even though they love you and they want the best for you.
“I felt the best thing to do was to get professional advice and professional help. I think I was in denial for quite a long period of time and then eventually I thought: yes, there is something wrong with me.”
Having sought professional help Panesar was prescribed medication which, despite his initial reservations, has been a great help in his recovery.
“I went on medication and it calmed a lot of things down in my mind and it took way the symptoms of being paranoid,” Panesar said.
“I didn’t believe in medication. I have been brought up to say medication isn’t good for you. There are always side effects to every medication you take.
“I would take it for a couple of days and then not take it. I eventually got into a place where I would take it on a regular basis. The people who were helping me did see a change in me. They said to me it would it take three to six months to get back to where I need to be.
“When I first started on the medication I was a lot more patient with myself. You want things to happen very quickly, you want things to improve quickly but you have got to be kind to yourself.
“You have got to take one step at a time and be patient with the whole process and eventually have the faith that things will get better.
“It’s really important that once you get better you engage with people and how you are with your friends and family. They pick up on the positive vibes and it’s comforting to know that they can see a positive change.”
Panesar now hopes that, as a PCA Mental Health Ambassador, that he can use his own experiences to help other players identify possible signs of depression or anxiety in their team mates and encourage them to seek help.
“The signs that you can spot in other people in a dressing room is if they are very isolated and don’t engage with the whole team. On away trips if you are going for team meals are they just going back to their room and ordering room service.
“It’s really important when you feel down that you engage with other human beings and you speak to other people about it. Once a cricketer gets isolated they are signs that you really should look after that person.
“As sports people you pride yourself on being mentally strong and ruthless, all the attributes that lead to competitive performance.
“But when you have a weakness in you, you don’t really want to open up to it. You always want to show that you are strong. It’s really important when you do have a weakness that you really open up to it. The quicker you open up, the quicker you will get the support and the help.”
Here is Monty discussing his new role:
Alex Wakely (23)
Steven Crook (17)
Graeme White (17)
Josh Cobb (12)
Ben Sanderson (12)
Richard Gleeson (10)
Richard Levi (9)
Rob Keogh (9)
Max Holden (8)
Saif Zaib (7)
David Murphy (6)
Tom Sole (6)
Adam Rossington (6)
Rob Newton (5)
Rory Kleinveldt (5)
Monty Panesar (4)
Seekuge Prasanna (4)
David Ripley (4)
Mohammad Azharullah (4)
Phil Rowe (3)
north v south (3)
Chris Tombs (2)
Nathan Buck (2)
Gavin Warren (2)
England Lions (2)
Will Rogers (1)
Kevin Innes (1)
Mike Ferrandino (1)
County Council (1)
cllr Robin Brown (1)
Ray Payne (1)
NCCC holdings (1)
Chris Lorkin (1)
England U19 (1)
Second XI / Academy Physiotherapist (1)
Barry Goudriaan (1)
David Sales (1)
- RUNS 4 FUNDS
- MONTY HELPS SECONDS TO NAIL-BITING WIN
- LEICESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- MONTY SEES HOW IT'S DONE AT SKY
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V KENT - DAY 4
- FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT'S FOR MAURICE KENT
- WAKELY'S WEEKLY
- STEELBACKS TRIUMPH IN 'BLAST' OPENER
- GLOUCS V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
- 2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 3
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 4
- SRI LANKAN SEEKKUGE PRASANNA SIGNS FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- MIND OVER MATTER | PREPARATIONS CONTINUE
- OXFORD MCCU | DAY 2
- TO TOSS, OR NOT TO TOSS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE VS SUSSEX | DAY 2
- NCCC & KENT SECOND XI VS WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XI
- OBITUARY | JOHN MINNEY 1939 - 2016
- EASYCOPIERS SPONSOR BEN DUCKETT
- NCCC SECOND XI VS LEICESTERSHIRE SECOND XI | DAY 3
- MIDSHIRES ELECTRICAL TO SPONSOR STEVEN CROOK
- ESSEX VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- "LET'S CALL IT A DRAW..."
- PRE-SEASON TOUR BEGINS
- NO CHANGE AT THE TOP
- NEW SHAPE FOR COUNTY GAME IN 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- NEW FACE AT THE ACADEMY
- STEELBACKS CAFE OPENING
- CRAZY HATS LADIES BACK IN ACTION
- ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN BARBADOS T20
- A RIGHT ROYAL TREAT
- HOSTS SEE OFF COUNTY IN ONE-DAYER
- BEN AND ADAM IN FORM - TWICE!
- TOM'S THE HEART AND SOLE IN BARBADOS
- SQUAD TO FACE MIDDLESEX
- A FAN'S EYE VIEW
- Welcome to SportsAid
- "THE ALL-ROUND DISPLAY WE WERE LOOKING FOR"
- A Record Breaking Battle
- It's All White on the Night!
- Sri Lanka call up for Prasanna
- A Tough Night with the Wet Worcestershire Rapids
- IT'S A RLC WASHOUT AT WANTAGE ROAD
- Greene King extends sponsorship deal with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- WHITE SECOND IN PCA MVP 50 OVERS PERFORMANCE TABLE
- Moin Ashraf joins us on a short term basis
- DEFEAT IS HARD LINES ON DUCKETT
- Swim for Fish Charity Swim
- Back to the top of the table.
- T20 BBQ vs Nottinghamshire on Friday, 8th July
- Credit to Crook
- 500th player to represent Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- SUSSEX V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- STEELBACKS WIN ON FAMILY DAY
- DUCKETT MOVES INTO PCA MVP RANKINGS TOP FIVE
- Fan Blog by Ian Harris
- STEELBACKS TAME THE BEARS AT EDGBASTON
- STEELBACKS SHARE THE POINTS AT CHESTERFIELD
- Richard Gleeson signs official contract
- Top of the Table and Ahead of the Game
- IT'S A WASHOUT AT CHESTERFIELD
- STEELBACKS TARGET QUARTER-FINALS AGAINST 'BOGEY' OPPONENTS
- Steelbacks fail to tame the Outlaws
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V WORCESTERSHIRE - DAY 3
- WAIT FOR T20 QUARTERS GOES ON AFTER DURHAM DEFEAT
- Shoosmiths supports NCCC with continued sponsorship
- Duckett - 163 reasons to be proud
- Quarter Finals booked
- THANK YOU
- DUCKETT RELISHES BEING A LION IN HIS OWN DEN
- NO SENTIMENT AS WILLEY STINGS STEELBACKS
- KEOGH THE KEY MAN IN CRUSHING RLC VICTORY
- BEN GOES BIG - AGAIN - FOR THE LIONS
- BEARS' OPENERS SINK COUNTY AT EDGBASTON
- WORCESTER WIN KEEPS STEELBACKS' RLC HOPES ALIVE
- COMPETITION HOTS UP FOR NORTH v SOUTH PLACES
- STEELBACKS CLINCH HOME T20 'QUARTER' DESPITE DEFEAT
- Northamptonshire hosting Beer Festival
- STEELBACKS CLOSE IN ON ANOTHER QUARTER-FINAL
- Graeme White signs a new contract
- North v South success for White and Duckett
- Duckett named in Specsavers One to Watch shortlist
- Networking Breakfast and Open Day, 12th September 9am
- GLAMORGAN V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- WAKELY: "WE'LL ALWAYS CARE ABOUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP"
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- JOSH COBB SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR CONTRACT
- STEELBACKS CROWNED THE 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS
- Notice to all Club Members
- Barrett gets his first ton for Northamptonshire
- WORCESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- catering vacancies available
- KEOGH AND WHITE HAVE GLAMORGAN IN A SPIN
- KEOGH IMPRESSES IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- BEN SANDERSON SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR DEAL
- COUNTY COMPLETE KENT VICTORY
- MEMBERS VOTE TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF NCCC
- ECB and First Class Counties agree next steps in developing fresh T20 competition
- "Kleinveldt is a Steelback, to the core" - David Ripley
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V GLOUCESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- DUCKETT GETS THE ENGLAND CALL UP
- GRAEME WHITE TOPS THE TABLE IN THE PCA MVP RANKINGS
- T20 CHAMPIONS DVD
- Ben Duckett shortlisted for NatWest PCA Awards
- BEN DUCKETT EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH NCCC
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SIGN PACE BOWLER NATHAN BUCK
- DUCKETT BECOMES FIRST EVER PLAYER TO WIN DOUBLE AT PCA AWARDS
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEELEY!
- David Murphy extends his contract with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- ROB NEWTON SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
- NCCC repay Northamptonshire County Council £1million
- Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
- THE CLUB ANNOUNCE ITS CHOSEN CHARITY FOR 2017
- NCCC welcomes new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Chris Lorkin
- NCCC recruit England Under 19s’ Captain and Middlesex opener, Max Holden
- Huntingdon Racecourse dates for NCCC Season Ticket Holders
- OBITUARY | MICK YORK
- DUCKETT TO FEATURE FOR MCC
- Graeme White called up to England Lions one-day squad
- Sri Lanka A claim first win in Lions ODI series
- 2016 FINANCIAL YEAR END STATEMENT
- Sri Lanka A took a 2-0 lead in the five-match one-day series against England Lions
- England Lions slipped to a third consecutive defeat in their one-day series against Sri Lanka A.
- Welcome Back Seekkuge Prasanna!
- PlayerLayer Announces Kit Partnership with Northamptonshire CCC
- White Roars for the England Lions
- TEAM NORTH SECURE FIRST VICTORY IN SERIES WARM UP MATCHES
- £13,000 RAISED FOR THE NIGEL WAGSTAFF CHARITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LOUGHBOROUGH UNIVERSITY
- Strauss raises stakes for North-South Series
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V NOTTS
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V CARDIFF MCCU
- UPDATE | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE DAY 2
- CROOK ALL SET FOR SEASON KICK OFF
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day One
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day Two
- KEOGH SHINES AT EDGBASTON
- ANOTHER DAY OF HANDY PRACTICE AT EDGBASTON
- TAYLOR AND SALES JOIN THE COACHING LINE UP
- TWO MORE TONS AS LOUGHBOROUGH MAKE HAY
- CLUB CAPTAIN EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT
- DUCKETT NAMED AS ONE OF WISDEN'S FIVE CRICKETERS OF THE YEAR
- WAKELY TON ROUNDS OFF RUN-FEST
- Duckett named most promising young cricketer of the year for 2016
- DAY TWO | NCCC THRASH GLAMORGAN IN TWO DAYS
- 'HODGE' TO BE REMEMBERED WITH NEW AWARD
- COUNTY BEATEN IN TWO-DAY THRILLER AT NEW ROAD
- Warwickshire defeat the Steelbacks in Royal London Cup opener!
- COUNTY COME OFF SECOND-BEST AT DERBY DESPITE LEVI TON
- Steelbacks and Worcestershire play out a thrilling tie at Wantage Road
- Wakely guides Steelbacks to first One Day Cup win of the season
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SLIP TO DURHAM CUP DEFEAT
- STEELBACKS SUFFER HOME DEFEAT AT THE HANDS OF A STRONG YORKSHIRE SIDE
- COUNTY WASHED OUT AT GRACE ROAD
- MURPHY OUT WITH BACK INJURY
- GAME AGAINST NOTTS WASHED OUT
- ZAIB SIGNS FIRST PROFESSIONAL CONTRACT
- LUBAS SPORTS TRAUMA MANAGEMENT COURSE
- Workbridge and NCCC work together on bumper flower displays
- STEELBACKS NARROWLY MISS OUT AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA
- RICHARD LEVI INJURY UPDATE
- KEOGH DEFIANCE NOT ENOUGH FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- PREVIEW: DURHAM VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- Duckett is back in Northampton with the Lions for the second time in 11 months
- SPOIL DAD THIS FATHER'S DAY
- DAY 3 REPORT | DURHAM VS NCCC
- Northants Shares Success Target threshold achieved for sale of shares
- NCCC SEAL DRAMATIC WIN AGAINST DURHAM AT CHESTER-LE-STREET
- RUNS4FUNDS | Celebrity Charity Cricket Fun Day Saturday, June 24th 2017 | Althorp House, Northampton
- BUCK CLIMBS PCA MVP RANKINGS
- NCCC has appointed Andrew Radd as its Honorary Archivist
- Rossington ruled out with finger fracture.
- REPORT | DAY 3 VS DERBYSHIRE
- WE ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE OUR NEW CATERING PARTNER
- Tabraiz Shamsi joins the Steelbacks for the NatWest T20 Blast
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC vs LEICESTERSHIRE
- ECB ANNOUNCES MEDIA RIGHTS DEALS FROM 2020 ONWARDS
- GLEESON MAKES HIS MARK IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- Holden and Brook to lead England Under-19s against India
- REPORT | DAY 4 VS KENT
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS FALCONS
- DUCKETT BOOSTS STEELBACKS TO DURHAM VICTORY
- Azharullah ruled out of the Steelbacks T20 campaign with a shoulder injury.
- MATCH ABANDONED! No play possible vs Yorkshire
- Emergency services join the Steelbacks for their annual Golf Day
- MATCH REPORT | STEELBACKS vs BEARS
- N-TRANCE join Boombastic 90’s in Northampton for another huge NYE Party!
- Prasanna ruled out of the NatWest T20 Blast competition
- HOLDEN ON FIRE FOR THE ENGLAND U19s
- STEELBACKS EDGE HOME AT GRACE ROAD
- STEELBACKS BEATEN AT DAMP TRENT BRIDGE
- Rob Newton has signed a new two-year deal at NCCC
- PREVIEW: STEELBACKS VS RAPIDS
- COBB TO MISS WORCESTERSHIRE CLASH WITH HAND INJURY