Quarter Finals booked
Northamptonshire booked their place in the quarter finals of the Natwest T20 Blast after a near perfect batting display saw them beat the Birmingham Bears by 74 runs at Wantage Road, Graeme White taking a hat-trick to seal the win.
Adam Rossington’s 85 got the Steelbacks off to a flyer, before Alex Wakely hit a 20 ball half century to take his side to 200-5, their second highest total in T20 at Wantage Road.
Ian Bell’s classy 62 led the chase, but he was fifth man out, the Bears spectacularly collapsing in the face of an ever rising required rate, six wickets falling for seven runs at one stage, including White’s treble, as the visitors were dismissed for 126.
After Rossington’s career best, his 85 coming from 51 deliveries in a county record opening stand of 103 with Richard Levi, the Northants innings looked to be faltering as four wickets fell in as many overs before Wakely’s 53 from 23 helped take 68 from the final five to reach the magical 200 mark.
Rossington exploding into life with four consecutive boundaries off Oliver Hannon-Dalby from the final over of the powerplay, then taking the attack to the spinners, Josh Poysden hit into the upper tier of the old pavilion in passing 50 in 29 balls, before two further maximums came off Atiq Javid.
Levi had contributed 31 to the century stand, but fell in the 11th over, brilliantly caught at long-on by Sam Hain diving backwards, sparking a mini collapse, as Josh Cobb edged his first delivery behind off Aaron Thomason, who then ended Rossington’s knock, caught at long-on, and the platform he has set looked like it might have been wasted when Seekkuge Prasanna holed out off his second ball.
However Wakely’s remarkable burst ensured that wasn’t the case, the Northants’ skippers scored 12 from his first 10 deliveries, but was raising hit bat 10 balls later, taking Clarke was two fours and a six in the 18th over before pulling consecutive sixes off Keith Barker.
The Birmingham Bears were left seeking a record run chase, and Bell was soon as his fluent best after surviving an early life, Prasanna failing to cling onto a sharp chance at fine leg, the ball going for four to spark a run of six boundaries in seven balls as both the third and fourth overs cost 17.
Sam Hain also hit four fours in his run a ball 22 but after a promising opening stand of 60, the match turned in the hosts favour as Kleinveldt had Hain caught at fine leg, and Matthew Wade edged the next delivery to slip.
Bell went to his half century off 30 balls, but tight bowling saw the required rate up to 12 an over at the halfway stage with 121 still required, and the pressure told as Laurie Evans was bowled trying to swing Prasanna into the leg side.
Clarke added 19 with Bell, but when both fell to consecutive deliveries, the game was up, Evans stumped attempting to reverse sweep Prasanna, four balls after Rossington had missed an earlier stumping attempt, before Bell’s classy innings ended as he top edged a slog sweep off Graeme White.
The Bears fell in a heap after that, with seven wickets falling in 15 balls, White taking a hat-trick that happened so fast most inside the ground missed it.
Javid was trapped LBW from the last ball of White’s 14th over , and after Prasanna has Thomason stumped in the next, White returned to see Patel well caught by Richard Gleeson at mid-on, before Keith Barker charged first ball and was stumped.
White finished with 4-20, the PA having to announce the hat-trick to the crowd, and the end quickly followed, Hannon-Dalby last man out, Kleinveldt also claiming 3-14, as the Steelbacks moved closer to a home tie, whilst Birmingham will have to wait to seal their quarter final place.
Alex Wakely (17)
Graeme White (13)
Steven Crook (12)
Josh Cobb (10)
Richard Gleeson (10)
Ben Sanderson (9)
Richard Levi (6)
Tom Sole (6)
Adam Rossington (6)
Rob Keogh (6)
Olly Stone (5)
David Murphy (5)
Saif Zaib (5)
Monty Panesar (4)
Seekuge Prasanna (3)
Rob Newton (3)
David Ripley (3)
Phil Rowe (3)
Rory Kleinveldt (3)
north v south (3)
Mohammad Azharullah (2)
Chris Tombs (2)
England Lions (2)
Max Holden (2)
Will Rogers (1)
Kevin Innes (1)
Mike Ferrandino (1)
County Council (1)
cllr Robin Brown (1)
Ray Payne (1)
NCCC holdings (1)
Gavin Warren (1)
England U19 (1)
Second XI / Academy Physiotherapist (1)
Barry Goudriaan (1)
- RUNS 4 FUNDS
- MONTY HELPS SECONDS TO NAIL-BITING WIN
- LEICESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- MONTY SEES HOW IT'S DONE AT SKY
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V KENT - DAY 4
- FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT'S FOR MAURICE KENT
- WAKELY'S WEEKLY
- STEELBACKS TRIUMPH IN 'BLAST' OPENER
- GLOUCS V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
- 2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 3
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 4
- SRI LANKAN SEEKKUGE PRASANNA SIGNS FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- MIND OVER MATTER | PREPARATIONS CONTINUE
- OXFORD MCCU | DAY 2
- TO TOSS, OR NOT TO TOSS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE VS SUSSEX | DAY 2
- NCCC & KENT SECOND XI VS WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XI
- OBITUARY | JOHN MINNEY 1939 - 2016
- EASYCOPIERS SPONSOR BEN DUCKETT
- NCCC SECOND XI VS LEICESTERSHIRE SECOND XI | DAY 3
- MIDSHIRES ELECTRICAL TO SPONSOR STEVEN CROOK
- ESSEX VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- "LET'S CALL IT A DRAW..."
- PRE-SEASON TOUR BEGINS
- NO CHANGE AT THE TOP
- NEW SHAPE FOR COUNTY GAME IN 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- NEW FACE AT THE ACADEMY
- STEELBACKS CAFE OPENING
- CRAZY HATS LADIES BACK IN ACTION
- A BUSY YEAR FOR DAVID MURPHY
- ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN BARBADOS T20
- A RIGHT ROYAL TREAT
- HOSTS SEE OFF COUNTY IN ONE-DAYER
- BEN AND ADAM IN FORM - TWICE!
- TOM'S THE HEART AND SOLE IN BARBADOS
- WELCOME TO THE NEW CLUB SHOP!
- SQUAD TO FACE MIDDLESEX
- A FAN'S EYE VIEW
- Welcome to SportsAid
- "THE ALL-ROUND DISPLAY WE WERE LOOKING FOR"
- A Record Breaking Battle
- Stone and Levi injury Update
- It's All White on the Night!
- Sri Lanka call up for Prasanna
- A Tough Night with the Wet Worcestershire Rapids
- IT'S A RLC WASHOUT AT WANTAGE ROAD
- Greene King extends sponsorship deal with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- WHITE SECOND IN PCA MVP 50 OVERS PERFORMANCE TABLE
- Moin Ashraf joins us on a short term basis
- DEFEAT IS HARD LINES ON DUCKETT
- Swim for Fish Charity Swim
- Back to the top of the table.
- T20 BBQ vs Nottinghamshire on Friday, 8th July
- Credit to Crook
- 500th player to represent Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- SUSSEX V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- STEELBACKS WIN ON FAMILY DAY
- DUCKETT MOVES INTO PCA MVP RANKINGS TOP FIVE
- Fan Blog by Ian Harris
- STEELBACKS TAME THE BEARS AT EDGBASTON
- STEELBACKS SHARE THE POINTS AT CHESTERFIELD
- Richard Gleeson signs official contract
- Top of the Table and Ahead of the Game
- IT'S A WASHOUT AT CHESTERFIELD
- STEELBACKS TARGET QUARTER-FINALS AGAINST 'BOGEY' OPPONENTS
- Steelbacks fail to tame the Outlaws
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V WORCESTERSHIRE - DAY 3
- WAIT FOR T20 QUARTERS GOES ON AFTER DURHAM DEFEAT
- Shoosmiths supports NCCC with continued sponsorship
- Duckett - 163 reasons to be proud
- Quarter Finals booked
- THANK YOU
- DUCKETT RELISHES BEING A LION IN HIS OWN DEN
- NO SENTIMENT AS WILLEY STINGS STEELBACKS
- KEOGH THE KEY MAN IN CRUSHING RLC VICTORY
- BEN GOES BIG - AGAIN - FOR THE LIONS
- BEARS' OPENERS SINK COUNTY AT EDGBASTON
- WORCESTER WIN KEEPS STEELBACKS' RLC HOPES ALIVE
- COMPETITION HOTS UP FOR NORTH v SOUTH PLACES
- STEELBACKS CLINCH HOME T20 'QUARTER' DESPITE DEFEAT
- Northamptonshire hosting Beer Festival
- STEELBACKS CLOSE IN ON ANOTHER QUARTER-FINAL
- Graeme White signs a new contract
- North v South success for White and Duckett
- Duckett named in Specsavers One to Watch shortlist
- Networking Breakfast and Open Day, 12th September 9am
- GLAMORGAN V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- WAKELY: "WE'LL ALWAYS CARE ABOUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP"
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- JOSH COBB SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR CONTRACT
- STEELBACKS CROWNED THE 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS
- Notice to all Club Members
- Barrett gets his first ton for Northamptonshire
- WORCESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- catering vacancies available
- KEOGH AND WHITE HAVE GLAMORGAN IN A SPIN
- KEOGH IMPRESSES IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- BEN SANDERSON SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR DEAL
- COUNTY COMPLETE KENT VICTORY
- MEMBERS VOTE TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF NCCC
- ECB and First Class Counties agree next steps in developing fresh T20 competition
- "Kleinveldt is a Steelback, to the core" - David Ripley
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V GLOUCESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- DUCKETT GETS THE ENGLAND CALL UP
- GRAEME WHITE TOPS THE TABLE IN THE PCA MVP RANKINGS
- T20 CHAMPIONS DVD
- Ben Duckett shortlisted for NatWest PCA Awards
- BEN DUCKETT EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH NCCC
- Northamptonshire set to host South Africa tour matches in 2017
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SIGN PACE BOWLER NATHAN BUCK
- DUCKETT BECOMES FIRST EVER PLAYER TO WIN DOUBLE AT PCA AWARDS
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEELEY!
- David Murphy extends his contract with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- ROB NEWTON SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
- Edgbaston set to host England’s first Day/Night Test match against West Indies in 2017
- Cricket stays at the cutting edge of science and medicine
- Fancy jetting off to Barbados with the Steelbacks next spring?
- PETER ARNOLD - 90 NOT OUT!
- 'HODGE' - A TRIBUTE
- Steelbacks v South Africa - Hospitality
- THE COUNTY CORPORATE CLUB
- NCCC repay Northamptonshire County Council £1million
- Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
- THE CLUB ANNOUNCE ITS CHOSEN CHARITY FOR 2017
- NCCC welcomes new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Chris Lorkin
- Made Of Steel: Episode 7
- NCCC recruit England Under 19s’ Captain and Middlesex opener, Max Holden
- Huntingdon Racecourse dates for NCCC Season Ticket Holders
- OBITUARY | MICK YORK
- DUCKETT TO FEATURE FOR MCC
- Graeme White called up to England Lions one-day squad
- Sri Lanka A claim first win in Lions ODI series
- Northants cricket shop re-launch!
- 2016 FINANCIAL YEAR END STATEMENT
- Sri Lanka A took a 2-0 lead in the five-match one-day series against England Lions
- England Lions slipped to a third consecutive defeat in their one-day series against Sri Lanka A.
- Welcome Back Seekkuge Prasanna!
- PlayerLayer Announces Kit Partnership with Northamptonshire CCC
- White Roars for the England Lions
- TEAM NORTH SECURE FIRST VICTORY IN SERIES WARM UP MATCHES
- £13,000 RAISED FOR THE NIGEL WAGSTAFF CHARITY
- Match Report | Northamptonshire V Loughborough University
- Strauss raises stakes for North-South Series
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V NOTTS
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V CARDIFF MCCU
- UPDATE | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE
- MATCH REPORT: NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE DAY 2
- CROOK ALL SET FOR SEASON KICK OFF